Quilt No. 123
The year’s guild challenge was to do a “curves” quilt. This definitely threw my fondness for straight edges into disarray. Thinking outside the box is always troublesome, especially when your box is strictly straight edged and symmetrical. If you were to chip open my skull and peer in at my brain, the convolutions would likely be arranged in perfectly straight rows of long boxes with crisp right-angled edges. What you wouldn’t see is any of those snakey sausage-like structures. So “curves” as a point of inspiration didn’t leave me awash with great ideas.
Several months went by and the idea bank had a balance of zero. Less than two months until deadline…
While working on Space Fish, I made some large folds in the background fabric. This resulted in a lot of excess fabric on the back. I cut the excess from the three folds and set these rectangular pieces aside. Stacked together, I had to admit they had some appeal.
I found a piece of dark blue polyester satin to use as a background for the rectangles. The top of this piece had been hacked off in an asymmetrical curve, a leftover from some other long forgotten project. Without even trying, I’d found a curve!
The next thing I needed was a focal point. I paraded many objects over the fabric until I came to the antique fish pin my husband had bought for me at Relics. Finally, things were going swimmingly. Adding in a few satiny waves suggested by the fish, I had it – the layout for my curves challenge quilt!